Day four is here, and we’re playing with TEAL! Head over to Flaun Cline’s I Plead Quilty blog for the pattern!
‘Twas a fateful day when I met Flaun… Quilt Market, Spring 2013, here in Portland, OR (but before I moved here). I had been traipsing the market floor, in search of perfect fabrics for the book’s projects. It was lunchtime, and so I headed out into the eating area of the convention center, dodgy catered salad in hand, looking for a place to sit. There was an open seat next to Flaun and her mom, LuWana, and they looked like kind, friendly people. I asked if I could sit with them, and we ended up gabbing away as quilty people do. We parted having exchanged emails and FB contact info, and actually managed to follow up on that!
Fast forward a few more weeks. I woke up a few days in a row, with the nagging idea that I needed to ask Flaun if she wanted to make a project for the gallery section of the book. I have a pretty decent Spidey-sense, so I tend to listen to it. I called her and asked (and got an enthusiastic ‘hell yes!”), sent her the alphabet patterns, and a week later the quilt was underway. I’ll let her show it to you – it knocked my socks off, and is so much prettier than it photographs… there’s a ton of sparkle in it.
And there it was – the beginning of a treasured friendship. Not only do Flaun and I have fun FaceTime gab sessions, but LuWana and I have forged a lovely friendship too, over great food (the woman is an amazing cook) and theatre outings. All because I asked if a seat was taken! Sometime you just have to ask!
Quilting really does bring great people into your life.
Flaun recently joined the BadAss Quilters Society, and is ramping up her teaching schedule at Spool in Chattanooga, TN. You need to take a class from her – she’s an eloquent, encouraging, and patient teacher – and I know this because she taught me to do EPP hexies over FaceTime!
Please hop over to her blog, and read about her Quilt Talk quilt.
Here’s a reminder of the tour and COLOR bucket schedule:
- Thursday October 2 – PURPLE – Megan Dougherty, The Bitchy Stitcher
- Friday October 3 – BROWN – Carrie Bloomston, Such Designs
- Monday October 6 – RED – Kim Niedzwiecki, My GoGo Life
- Tuesday October 7 – TEAL – Flaun Cline, I Plead Quilty
- Wednesday October 8 – WHITE – Mollie Sparkles
- Thursdays October 9 – HEXIES – Cath Hall, Wombat Quilts
- Friday October 10 – PINK – Ebony Love, LoveBug Studios
- Monday October 13 – GREEN – Rose Hughes
- Tuesday October 14 – BLUE – Sarah Fielke
- Wednesday October 15 – GRAY – Maddie Kertay, The BadAss Quilters Society
- Thursday October 16 – BLACK – Cheryl Sleboda
- Friday October 17 – YELLOW – Victoria Findlay Wolfe
- Monday October 20 – ORANGE (but of course!) – Sam Hunter, Hunter’s Design Studio
BTW – Did you join my mailing list yet? Do it here. I’m dreaming up groovy exclusive stuff for you!