Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was fantastic… I got to sign Quilt Talk at Powell’s City of Books, the holy grail of independent booksellers, and it was an incredibly special moment. I also got to sew with a friend (more quilt market prep), and we has a good and productive day.
And so here we are, ready to bring you another bucket! My partner in crime for the day is Rose Hughes, a dear friend and inspiring fiber artist.
I met Rose a few years back, when we both lived in Southern California. She was coming down to the wire on her last book, Design, Create, and Quilt, and was in need of studio minions for a day of sewing the project samples. I joined other friends to help out for a fun day of sewing.
Rose pioneered a fast and easy appliqué technique for making complex shapes whose edges are finished with machine worked embellishments. Applique is SO not my strong suit, so I imagined that I would just be cutting out fabric, and perhaps ironing for the day. But no. Within an hour, there I was, up to my elbows in this new technique, and having a really good time with it – it was that easy to pick up. And when the book came out I was absolutely tickled to see the section I had worked on included on the cover.
Since then, Rose moved to Paducah, KY, and I moved to Portland, OR, so I wasn’t able to help with her latest book, but I’m excited to get my hands on it! In it, Rose takes you through the steps to simplify a complex image into a bold and graphic quilt design. Here’s a peek at the cover:
All that ORANGE! The book comes out in January, and you can pre-order here.
Rose has also been a generous mentor. When I started out on the journey for Quilt Talk, I had a lot of questions, and she patiently helped me understand the complexities of the process. Quilting really DOES bring great people to your life!
Please hop over to Rose here, and check out what she’s up to.
Here’s a reminder of the tour and COLOR bucket schedule:
- Thursday October 2 – PURPLE – Megan Dougherty, The Bitchy Stitcher
- Friday October 3 – BROWN – Carrie Bloomston, Such Designs
- Monday October 6 – RED – Kim Niedzwiecki, My GoGo Life
- Tuesday October 7 – TEAL – Flaun Cline, I Plead Quilty
- Wednesday October 8 – WHITE – Mollie Sparkles
- Thursdays October 9 – HEXIES – Cath Hall, Wombat Quilts
- Friday October 10 – PINK – Ebony Love, LoveBug Studios
- Monday October 13 – GREEN – Rose Hughes
- Tuesday October 14 – BLUE – Sarah Fielke
- Wednesday October 15 – GRAY – Maddie Kertay, The BadAss Quilters Society
- Thursday October 16 – BLACK – Cheryl Sleboda
- Friday October 17 – YELLOW – Victoria Findlay Wolfe
- Monday October 20 – ORANGE (but of course!) – Sam Hunter, Hunter’s Design Studio
BTW – Did you join my mailing list yet? Do it here. I’m dreaming up groovy exclusive stuff for you!