The first step of the tour begins with Megan Dougherty, our industry’s own quilt humorist, known to us as The Bitchy Stitcher. She’s hosting the PURPLE pattern for you!
Once upon a time, in a galaxy not so far away, a mutual acquaintance reached out to me to talk to Megan about how I built the design walls that are such an important part of my studio. So I called her, and in that brief conversation about flannel and fleece, and getting boards to stick to walls in a way that won’t give your landlord hives, I found a dear friend. Sometimes friendships have to grow slowly – but I knew almost immediately I’d have Megan in my family for a long time.
It was a couple of years before I met her in person (at Quilt Market, natch) and as we like to tell the story, we damn near needed a room.
Last Quilt Market in Pittsburgh, we finally shared one and stayed up half the night giggling like only women friends can. She’s the kind of friend that sends you a Lego Wolverine after she hears you saw the last X Men movie twice because Hugh Jackman in THAT scene was worth a second look (and maybe a third, but who’s counting?)
And for whipped cream on the whole ice cream sundae, her sweet kiddos are allowing me to be their crazy auntie from afar.
As well as being a great pal, she’s also a great mentor. The writes like a maniac, but she knows her stuff backwards, and helps me all the time with the literary end of my world. If you’re not already a fan, go read some of the stuff she writes about the crazy process of learning to quilt, cephalopods, men with burritos, and of course, Tom Hiddleston. Only a brilliant mind could make all that work! And word to the wise… DO NOT drink liquids while reading her humor, lest you need to wipe down your monitor and keyboard.
When my book journey began two years ago, I reached out to her for a gallery quilt, and she used the Quilt Talk alphabet to great effect, nailng down a custom quilt that is covered in her personality… she’ll be telling you all about that in her hop, so head over there and give it a read! Oh, and if you need another book in your life, consider getting hers, Quilting Isn’t Funny – you’ll go back to it every time you have to suffer through a dry guild board meeting, or try to miter binding without pictures.
Here’s a reminder of the schedule:
- Thursday October 2 – PURPLE – Megan Dougherty, The Bitchy Stitcher
- Friday October 3 – BROWN – Carrie Bloomston, Such Designs
- Monday October 6 – RED – Kim Niedzwiecki, My GoGo Life
- Tuesday October 7 – TEAL – Flaun Cline, I Plead Quilty
- Wednesday October 8 – WHITE – Mollie Sparkles
- Thursdays October 9 – HEXIES – Cath Hall, Wombat Quilts
- Friday October 10 – PINK – Ebony Love, LoveBug Studios
- Monday October 13 – GREEN – Rose Hughes
- Tuesday October 14 – BLUE – Sarah Fielke
- Wednesday October 15 – GRAY – Maddie Kertay, The BadAss Quilter’s Society
- Thursday October 16 – BLACK – Cheryl Sleboda
- Friday October 17 – YELLOW – Victoria Findlay Wolfe
- Monday October 20 – ORANGE (but of course!) – Sam Hunter, Hunter’s Design Studio
BTW – Did you join my mailing list yet? Do it here. I’m dreaming up groovy exclusive stuff for you!